I apologize for the tardiness, it's been hectic.
MA in Rhetoric at Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh PA
In high school, college was always assumed. No, that’s silly. Assumed isn’t strong enough. If anything, college was always known. It’s like how birds know instinctively when it’s time to migrate, when it’s time to pack up and move somewhere else, to change their surroundings. Then I was in college. I had received a scholarship to the University of Texas at Dallas for Destination Imagination (creative problem solving) and I was majoring in Art and Technology. I lived on campus with three other freshmen males in an apartment. I spent three years at UTD. They were simultaneously the best and worst years of my life. I found love, friendship, acceptance, and intellectual stimulation. I also discovered the pains of failure, of being lost, of seeing a father suffer from a debilitating disease, recover, and then lose him when he divorced my mother.
I moved back home, leaving UTD and transferring to Texas Wesleyan University to not only take care of myself but to help take care of my Mother and Brother, the latter who was just starting college and the former who was beginning a new career. At TWU I had the fortune of receiving an incredible amount of luck in meeting Dr. Linda Carroll and the English Department. I became an English/Writing major.
These past two years have gone by so quickly. And in them I’ve discovered something that inspires me, and drives me. The first time I truly felt like I was studying something, that singular moment where every cell in my central nervous system flared and fired, titillating my consciousness happened last spring in History of Rhetoric. I was introduced to the thought behind communication, literally the thought behind the thought. I was enraptured by Booth, mesmerized by Foucault. Men and Women of a calling that I had always danced around: the art of communication. How every syllable and gesture is as monument us in conferring information as the greatest of orations. I want more. I want to study rhetoric, and eventually wield it. Perhaps in law, or even as a writer. This is why I am applying to Carnegie Mellon.
I’m at a crossroads in my life, a point for which my entire life up until now has been spent in preparation. I’m looking at graduating in May, and honestly, I’m terrified. But at the same time I’m excited. I’ve found a passion in life. I’ve really begun to discover who I am and I feel that I can continue to do that while I study Rhetoric and Discourse at Carnegie Mellon.
If Discourse is the method by which we shape our reality, then I want to use Rhetoric, and the study thereof to shape my future. After graduate school I don’t have any firm plans; I was thinking about becoming a rhetoric professor or maybe even pursuing a JD and going into Law, using my passion to help others. But ultimately I feel that a Master’s in Rhetoric is the next step in my growth.
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Michael,
ReplyDeleteI am by no means an expert on personal statements so, if I suggest something that is completely wrong, just ignore me.
As much as it feels like you are heading somewhere with your introduction, it feels pretty unclear where. You are saring a very personal chronology in a good way, but it is first in the last line of the third paragraph that you address the purpose of this letter. Will the reader have that much patience? Even if you decide to keep the general outline, I would suggest some form of different opening that you later can tie back to with the last few paragraphs.
It is good that you explain how you decided that the next step would be an MA in Rhetoric, but why at this school? I would add at least somethign specific about the curriculum, tradition, etc. As much as they want you, they want to know that you want them. If I was the actual reader of these letters, I would definitely appreciate if I had the feeling that the applicant desired not only a degree, but a degree from us and had consequently researched the school/program.
Hope at least somethingin there helps!
Joakim
Why
Michael,
ReplyDeleteI love how you incorporated your personal struggles to illustrate the place you've come to in your life and where you want to take it from here.
I noticed a couple of grammatical errors: titallating my consciousness(comma) and should it be titallating to my consciousness? And, How every syllable...that sentece is a fragment and I think you mean monument in us not us in :) Good job though, very honest and heart felt; your readers will appreciate that.
Michael,
ReplyDeleteI, too, appreciate the passion of your letter, but I agree with Trisch and Joakim. Unless personal statements are meant to be generic, then you should add something about CM specifically. You also need to look carefully at capitalization errors (mother and brother and discourse come to mind). There are also a couple more fragments in here that need fixing: I was enraptured by Booth, mesmerized by Foucault. Men and Women of a calling that I had always danced around: the art of communication. How every syllable and gesture is as monument us in conferring information as the greatest of orations.
As it is for graduate school in rhetoric you need to think about your ethos!! Good start, however.